Thursday 19 February 2015

New found talent

A selection of wonderful works I have learnt to make in my crochet lessons
Back in the summer last year, I had major surgery and was very ill. Whilst recuperating I thought of all the new talents I would like to learn. Crochet was on top of my list! A local lady (mum and teacher) has her own business making wonderful gifts and home things from vintage fabrics and materials, and also makes super projects from crochet.
For the last 6 months I have been having weekly lessons, with two other lovely ladies in the group, who I didn't know, but have now become good friends. I absolutely love the class. We have tea, cake and crochet... and of course our weekly natter and catch up. It is also a child-free zone! 
I have gone from not even knowing what a crochet hook looks like to making things I never imagined I could. I find crochet very relaxing and therapeutic. Most evenings when watching telly I can sit and whip up something beautiful with my crochet hook. 
At Christmas time, I made a few people in my family homemade presents, they take some time as I am not particularly quick. For my mother-in-law I made a hot-water bottle cover, something she had requested. It took me 3 months (ages I know)... but was well worth it. And she was really pleased with it.
Christmas present hot-water bottle cover
My sister got a cowel I made, which she also was really pleased with... So much so in fact, she commissioned me to make her another in a different colour (big compliment).
Its half term, and we don't have our lesson during the holidays... I have missed our get together this week and the fun& support our group brings. But have still been making during the evenings. 
At my daughters school they get to bring home the class toy and keep it for a week at home. They then fill in a book, a 'diary' about what he got up to during the week. My middle daughter brought home a giraffe and asked me to make him a crochet crown... I did and was pleased with the results.


Crochet crown made with Dk cotton and 4mm hook
Watch this space for more of my crochet makes, I will share on the progress I make. 
It is nice to have some me time, to make something creative that I can share, something that thought and time has been put into. Recently, I posted some of my crochet makes to people that were in my thoughts with a hand written letter. Random acts of kindness and giving is a real passion of mine, especially letter writing... yes old school... pen to paper. There's nothing nicer than receiving a hand written card or letter in the post among the bills. Being told someone is thinking of you, to tell you their news. That person has taken time out of their day, to sit, to write, to get a stamp and post the letter to you.... I think that is very special, they can hold it in their hands... its real. Let me encourage you to go 'old school', write a friend a letter, it will not only bring the person receiving it joy.. but also great joy to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment